Tuesday, September 8, 2009

REVIEW of Mack's NCAA Football Week 1 Picks

One amazing weekend of college football in the books. I was right on some, wrong on others. Let's review..

South Carolina vs. North Carolina St.

What I said
South Carolina 23
NC State 17

What actually happened
South Carolina 7
NC State 3

Comments: Very beautifully played defensive game. I think South Carolina has a ways to go in terms of offensive production, but their defense is game ready. I think it's safe to say that the Steve Spurrier that we all grew to know & love is gone. Power running, ball control, and solid defense is his meal ticket right now. Who said an old dog (or even an Ol' Ball Coach) couldn't learn new tricks?

Boise St. vs. Oregon

What I said
Boise St. 48
Oregon 38

What actually happened
Boise St. 19
Oregon 8

Comments: The thing that will be remembered most from this game is what happened AFTER the game. But the game itself was a defensive struggle. Anyone who has followed these two programs for the past 5 years would've thought that the final score would've been eclipsed within the first 10 minutes of the game. Good defensive game, though.

Auburn vs. Louisiana Tech

What I said
Auburn 17
LaTech 7

What actually happened
Auburn 37
LaTech 13

Comments: From what I saw from this game, Auburn has fixed most of its offensive woes. They ran the ball decisively despite all the razzle dazzle mumbo jumbo that seems to be in the offense. They move more on offense pre-snap than the Joe Gibbs Redskins of the late 80s. We'll know more about Auburn's offense in the next couple of weeks as they face an improved Mississippi St. team and West Virginia repsectively.

Notre Dame vs. Nevada

What I said
Notre Dame 27
Nevada 10

What actually happened
Notre Dame 35
Nevada 0

Comments: I was VERY impressed with Clausen and especially with WR Michael Floyd. Their offense seemed to be clicking on all cylinders. I don't want to knee-jerk and say that Notre Dame is legit again, but we'll know more after they play Michigan this week and USC later in the season.

Georgia vs. Oklahoma St.

What I said:
Georgia 42
OK. St. 35

What actually happened
Georgia 10
OK. St. 24

Comments: I was terribly disappointed in UGA in this game. They came out of the gate strong and drove the ball right down the field and scored. After that, the offense became VERY conservative and complacent. They held a 7-0 lead for most of the first half and then Ok. St. blew the doors open almost. A team that is that explosive on offense is not to be toyed with. But it seems like that's what UGA did. And Oklahoma St made them pay.


Oklahoma vs. BYU

What I said
Oklahoma 72
BYU 28

What actually happened
Oklahoma 13
BYU 14

Comments: The biggest story of the weekend is that last year's Heisman Trophy winner, Sam Bradford, went down early in the game with a separated shoulder. Add that to the fact that the best Tight End in all of college football Jermaine Gresham was out as well, and it was bad for OU. Not to mention BYU is no pushover. If Bradford had stayed healthy, we may be talking about the biggest blowout of the weekend. But if if was a fifth....you know the rest.

LSU vs. Washington

What I said
LSU 38
Washington 10

What really happened
LSU 31
Washington 23

Comments: Chalk it up to first game jitters and the longest road trip in school history, but what really made this game tough for LSU was Washington's QB, Jake Locker. Really good player and I think Washington will make some noise in the PAC-10 this season.

Miami vs. Florida St.

What I Said
Miami 9
FSU. 6

What Actually Happened
Miami 38
FSU 34

Comments: Never in a million years would I have expected this game to be the shootout that it turned into. It was very much worth staying up watching. Jacory Harris is going to be a great ballplayer for the U. Christian Ponder is going to be a solid QB for the Noles. As I said last night, I don't have a dog in this fight so I don't care one way or the other about who wins, but for the sake of college football, it's great to see these two proud programs have national relevance again.


Ole Miss vs. Memphis

What I said
Ole Miss 42
Memphis 13

What actually happened
Ole Miss 45
Memphis 14

Comments: The score is not indicative of the game. Memphis played a WHALE of a game, and Ole Miss piled on points at the end. And just so poeple won't say I didn't tell them so, Ole Miss's offensive line is gonna get DESTROYED in SEC play. They're breaking in 4 new offensive linemen and Memphis exposed them. Snead is still very mistake-prone. The new polls just came out and they're up to #6. Someone will expose them for who they really are VERY soon.

Alabama vs. Virginia Tech

What I said
Alabama 17
Virginia Tech 10

What actually happened
Alabama 34
VaTech 24

Comments: ROLL TIDE!!! *ahem*...as I remove my crimson colored shades....This was a tough, hard fought game between two very proud programs. I would've never thought that many points would be scored between the two as both have top notch defenses. Great game,and if you didn't see it, get to ESPN360.com or the SECdigitalnetwork.com and check it out ASAP.

So I was off on the scores on a couple, but I hit 8 out of 10 winners. Not a bad start.

No comments:

Post a Comment