Thursday, February 26, 2009

Don't Believe the Hype














Other than college football recruiting, I think the NFL Combine is by far the most overhyped event in all of sports. I have several reasons, but here are a few:




1. So much stock is placed on the 40 yard dash which I think is absolutely absurd. Put me on a track right now and I'd be lucky to run a 4.7. Put a Rotweiller behind me and see if I don't burn your clock up. Track speed is different than football speed.






2. Jerry Rice ran a 4.59 and nobody (except the Niners, Cowboys, and Jets) wanted him, and he turned out ok. Vernon Davis tore up the combines and got himself picked at #5. On the field, the only thing he's done of significance is get kicked OFF the field.






3. Tony Mandarich..this guy in the picture is a prime example. Read his Wikipedia page to see what I mean.






UDPATE:






No comments:

Post a Comment