Monday, March 9, 2009

T.O. Watch Ends...in Buffalo



So when I read on PFT Friday night that TO was seen in Buffalo, I didn't think much of it, just like I didn't read too much into him being in Nashville. But when my cousin sent me a text to tell me that he'd signed with Buffalo my response was "Noooooooooo". I'll admit it. Selfishly, I wanted him to come home (to Frisco). I would have personally flown out there and slaughtered the fatted calf, given him the finest linens, and placed the ring on his finger. For the prodigal son would have come home. But alas, this wasn't meant to be.

On the other side, for the NFL, T.O. in Buffalo is great. If I remember correctly, Ralph Wilson was trying to move the team to Toronto. Well, I know the T.O. jerseys (which are already for sale) will fly off the shelves. And there will be plenty of butts in the seats in Western NY come kickoff time. He also single handedly just made the AFC East the most competitive division in the league. The Patriots are the Patriots. The Dolphins are on their way. And if they can ever get consistent QB play, the Jets are a team to be reckoned with, especially with Rex Ryan's defense being led by Bart Scott.

For Buffalo, this move is great 3-fold for their offense. It opens up Lee Evans for single coverage (and I doubt that many, if any, can single cover him because of his blazing speed), it takes 8 out of the box to stop Marshawn Lynch because they will HAVE to respect TO's receiving ability, and for James Hardy (who's currently sporting #81. We'll see how long that works out). Hardy is 6'5" 212 lbs. and when he was drafted out of Indiana by Buffalo last year, he was expected to be the next big thing. That resulted in 9 catches and 2 TDs in 14 games that he played in. That's not very good. But TO, being of similar stature, could mentor this young man and turn him into a monster.

For T.O., I don't know. He seemed incredibly humbled by this experience in his initial presser with the team. I think it's an awkward fit,but they'll make it work. So all in all, it was a good move for the league. I doubt that Terrell has a chance of winning a championship in Buffalo though. He could've come back to SF for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment